A tortilla press is a small but very useful kitchen appliance. It is a must-have kitchen appliance for almost every tortilla lover. It has many uses in the kitchen besides making tortillas.
There are cast iron, aluminum, plastic, wooden, and electric tortilla presses are available in the market. And each type of tortilla press is very effective and greatly used to make homemade tortillas, roti, and more food recipes.
Anyway, only cast iron tortilla press can rust for a few specific reasons. The most interesting fact is that rust off cast iron tortilla press can be cleaned and can be made reusable.
So, if you are a cast iron tortilla press user and your press got rust, don’t be upset. In this article, we will learn how to clean rust off a cast iron tortilla press.
You can buy the below-mentioned cast iron tortilla press if your present cast iron tortilla press has become totally useless. It is the most popular cast iron tortilla press in the present market.
First, learn why your cast iron tortilla press gets rusted?
Reasons why cast iron tortilla press getting rusted:
- If the press is not rust-resistant.
- For not using the press for a long time.
- Storing the press without drying thoroughly.
- Storing the press in the high humidity area.
- Storing the press in a moisture-prone environment.
- Storing the press without oiling.
- For not cleaning the press after use.
- If the press is made with impure cast iron.
- For not taking appropriate care of the press.
- For soaking the press into the sink for a long time.
- For putting the press in the dishwasher.
- For allowing the cast iron tortilla maker to air dries.
How To Clean Rust Off A Tortilla Press?
Cleaning rust off a cast iron tortilla press is very easy if you know the right process of it. Follow the below steps to clean your rust off cast iron tortilla press easily and perfectly.
At A Glance! Requirement Equipment
- Rust off a cast iron tortilla press
- A steel wool sponge
- Mineral oil
- Dishwashing soap
- Hot water
- Paper towel or dry cloth
Buy The Requirement Equipment
Take your cast iron tortilla press and place it on the table.
Now rub oil (mineral oil) on the entire press using a cloth or paper towel well, and then wait for a few minutes. The oil will soften the press’s rust and help it be easily removed.
Now take a steel wool sponge. Then scrub the whole press (inside & outside) with the steel wool sponge well until you see no more rusty on the press.
Then wash and scrub the press with soap and hot water. If there is any rust still on the press, then scrub the press again with the steel wool sponge and wash and scrub the press with soap and hot water again. Apply this process to clean your rust off cast iron tortilla press once more.
Now using a paper towel or dry cloth, wipe the press thoroughly and make it completely dry. Not let the press air dry.
Now your tortilla press is ready to use If you don’t want to use it right now, store it in a dry and stable temperature place after lightly oiling the whole press.
You May Also Like:
- The 5 Best 10 Inch Tortilla Press
- The 51 Best Amazing New Kitchen Gadgets
- Best Prestige Roti Maker USA
How To Protect Your Cast Iron Tortilla Press From Rusting?
You can easily protect your cast iron tortilla press from rusting. For that, you have to follow the below’s tips.
- Use a well brand and 100% pure cast iron-made tortilla press.
- Never soak your press into the sink for a long time while cleaning.
- Don’t use detergent and cold water to clean the press.
- Ensure your press is completely dry before storing.
- Not left the press untouched for a long time. Use the press regularly.
- Always clean the press using warm water.
- Never clean the press using the dishwasher.
- Always store the cast iron press after oiling lightly.
- Always store your cast iron tortilla press in a dry and stable temperature place.
- Always store the press in a humid place.
- Always clean the press before use and after every use.
- Always use, clean, and care for the press following the manufacturer’s instructions.
How do you clean a cast iron tortilla press?
Cleaning a cast iron tortilla press is very easy. Using a sufficient amount of hot water and dish soap, you can clean your cast iron tortilla press. For full information about cleaning a cast iron tortilla press, Visit: How To Cast Iron Tortilla Press Assembly, Use, Clean, Or Care For?
Does Salt Remove Rust From Cast Iron Cookware?
Yes, salt removes rust from cast iron cookware. In this case, you have to use coarse grain salt or sea salt to remove rust from your cast iron cookware.
Do you have to season a tortilla press?
Sometimes, it is good to season a tortilla press, but seasoning a tortilla press is an annoying and lengthy process. Interestingly, you don’t have to season a tortilla press often to protect your tortilla press from rust.
Do you need parchment paper for tortilla press?
Yes, you need parchment paper for the tortilla press.
It will help keep the tortilla dough from sticking inside the press plates. Also, it will help make perfect size tortillas, roti, etc. and use the press and clean the press easily.
Can you use steel wool on cast iron Tortilla press?
Yes, you can use steel wool on a cast iron tortilla press. If you want to remove rust from your cast iron tortilla press, you can use it.
How long does cast iron Tortilla Press Take To Rust?
It has no specific answer because it depends on the purity of the press’s material, its stored place’s humidity, and ways of using and cleaning the press.
A cast iron tortilla press can get rust for a few specific reasons, and it is usual.
If your cast iron tortilla press gets rusted, then follow the above tips and tricks for cleaning your rust off the cast iron tortilla press and protecting it from rust.
If you can follow the above tips and tricks perfectly, you can easily clean your rust off cast iron tortilla press and make it reusable. Also, you can protect your cast iron press from rusting.
Anyway, if you face any problem while cleaning your rust off cast iron tortilla press, then let us know by leaving your comment below.