An efficient washing machine is good news for your home! Consider a direct drive washer, as it is the perfect upgrade. The appliance has a motor installation that directly rotates the machine’s tub. Also, it is hardy and noiseless.
But how do you choose the ideal machine in a market that is so crowded? Of course, you will pursue the usual details like top-load and front-load features. Keep in mind the technical details, such as the motor and ergonomics.
In this guide, Samsung WF42H5000AW is the best direct-drive washing machine in 2023. The washer is a front loader with a tub capacity of 4.2 cu. ft (9 kg). It is energy-star-rated and rotates at 1200 RPM.
We have more direct-drive washing machines. And a comparison table to help you analyze the finer details.
At A Glance! The Top 5 Best Direct Drive Washing Machine
- Samsung WF42H5000AW-Best Pick
- LG WM3900HBA
- LG WM3488HW
- LG WM3998HBA
- LG WM3499HVA
|Samsung WF42H5000AW-Best Pick
|4.2 Cubic Feet
|4.5 Cu. Ft
|2.3 cu. ft.
|2.3 cu. ft.
|33 x 27 x 38 inches
|41.5 x 31.5 x 29.5 inches
|41.75 x 31.5 x 29.5 inches
|25.5 x 24 x 33.5 inches
|24″ x 33 1/2″ x 25
- At A Glance! The Top 5 Best Direct Drive Washing Machine
- Comparison Table
- What Are The 5 Best Direct Drive Washing Machines?
- Final verdict
What Is A Direct Drive Washing Machine?
A direct Drive washing machine is also known as an inverter direct drive washing machine. It uses a motor to rotate the washer’s tub directly. Technically, the direct drive pump has a motor drive shaft, which is slipped into a hollow shaft to spin the tub. Other kinds of washers use clutches and pulley belts to rotate the tub.
Is Direct Drive Washing Machine Better?
A direct drive washing machine is better because its tub is connected directly to the running motor. That greatly reduces the machine’s wear and tear. The direct drive motor increases the washer’s energy performance and reliability, therefore far better than other machines.
Is Direct Drive Better Than Belt Drive Washing Machine?
Yes, a direct drive washer is better than a belt drive washer. A belt drive machine uses a network of pulleys and belts to spin the tub.
During washing, a direct drive washer is more stable because the direction of rotation keeps on changing. These types of washers are also a space saver because they are smaller in size.
Which Washing Machines Have A Direct Drive Motor?
There are a variety of direct drive motor washers in the market. The most common ones include Samsung and LG brands. These inverter direct drive washing machines are available for you in both top-load and front load.
What Is The Difference Between Belt Drive And Direct Drive?
The main difference between a belt drive and a direct drive is that a belt drive internally operates the wash drum or tub using pulleys and belts to spin the drum or tub. A Direct drive system has one motor that runs the wash drum and other extraction pump mechanicals.
Belt Drive Vs. Direct Drive – Which Is Better?
A direct drive washer uses a motor to spin your washer drum while the belt drive drives or spins your washer drum by turning a belt. Both washers will clean your clothes well, but the belt drive will consume more space and is averagely stable, meaning that it vibrates more. More so, belt drives have mobile parts that wear and require regular replacement and maintenance.
What Are The 5 Best Direct Drive Washing Machines?
When you make your maiden visit to a washing machine dealer or an online store, you will find many washers and get confused about what to choose. Some are brands that you know, while others will be new to you.
The washing machines’ physical appearance may lure you to acquire a washer that does not suit your needs. You also want a home appliance that is durable and efficient. A direct drive washing machine will be a perfect choice. The washers are durable and also guarantee fewer maintenance issues.
Our team of experts went ahead to research for you the top five direct drive washing machines. That will make your shopping experience easy and fun.
1. Samsung WF42H5000AW-Best direct drive front load washers
- 8 wash cycles, 9 options, 4 temperature settings, 4 spin settings and...
- 3 dispenser trays: main wash, softener, bleach
- Vibration Reduction Technology (VRT) maintains virtually silent...
- Self-Clean eliminates the need for harsh chemicals
- Smart Care lets you diagnose issues from your smart phone
Samsung WF42H5000AW is a direct drive front loader designed to give you a reliable and efficient laundry service for your clothes. The washer’s 4.2 cubic feet capacity is large enough to accommodate a large and fewer load. Its capacity saves you time and energy.
The model comes in white color to complement most of your appliances. It has dimensions of 27 x 383 /4 x 33 inches and weighs 194 pounds.
Samsung direct drive washing machine new model comes with a one-year on its parts and efficiency, three years on the stainless steel tub, and ten years on its direct drive motor. The brand offers you three free dispenser trays, including the main wash, softener, and bleach tray.
There are two vital conveniences that the Samsung WF42H5000AW washer brings you; a child lock and a door lock. If you have kids around, you know the importance of locks in home appliances. That is also necessary if you have a mentally challenged person around.
Let’s now look at other features that come with this Samsung Best direct drive front load washers and their performance.
- Front loader.
- Direct drive motor (1200 RPM Maximum Spin Speed)
- 4.2 cubic feet capacity to hold up to 9kg laundry.
- ENERGY STAR® rating for energy efficiency.
- Smart Care for an immediate diagnosis to troubleshooting issues.
- Self Clean plus that keeps your washer clean all the time.
- VRT™ to reduce noise levels.
- White color
- Diamond drum/tub design to treat your clothes gently without wear and tear.
- Eight Preset Wash Cycles to select.
Samsung WF42H5000AW is a high-performance direct drive washer. It allows you eight preset wash cycles that include Normal, Heavy Duty, Quick Wash, Permanent Press, Active Wear, Bedding, Delicates, Rinse, and Spin. The washer has got up to nine wash options, including Self Clean Plus, Delay End, Extra Rinse, Spin Only Extra Spin, My Cycle, Sound, Child Lock, and Smart Care.
There are three Samsung direct drive washing machine’s signature features that stand out with this model. One of those is Smart Care, which allows you to troubleshoot directly from your smartphone. Then comes the Self Clean Plus; the function automatically cleans your washer and keeps it away from bio-film and odor.
VRT™ is another essential feature. This feature brings you comfort and convenience. It is a short form for Vibration Reduction Technology and reduces the machine’s vibrations and noise.
You can set the temperature at hot, warm, eco warm, and cold for maximum performance. With the washer’s spin controls, you can also select high, medium, low, or No Spin. The three soil settings for heavy, standard, and light allow you to choose depending on how dirty your clothes are.
You would go with a washer that has distinct features to select. If the washer is water and energy-efficient, the better it is for you. Samsung WF42H5000AW is that washer. It is a high-performance direct drive washer, and we recommend it for your household use.
You May Also Like:
- The 8 Best Washer Under $500
- The 5 Cheap Washing Machines Under 200$
- The 8 Best Washing Machines For Clothes Diapers
- The 9 best Kuppet portable washing machines
- The 5 Best front loading washing machine for hard water
- How Do You Use A Kuppet Portable Washing Machine?
2. LG WM3900HBA
LG WM3900HBA is a Black stainless steel washer that gives your home a sleek and stylish finish. The washer’s direct-drive motor assures you high quality, performance, and durability. The front loader comes with countless unique settings that make laundering easy for you.
With its quiet operations, you will be able to study or listen to your favorite TV or radio programs. With WI-FI connections and a smartphone, you can monitor the progress while away with this best price LG direct drive washing machine. That’s just a summary; other properties make this machine special.
- Direct drive motor
- Smart diagnosis system
- Cycle Monitoring
- Energy Monitoring
Other features include;
- Maintenance alerts alert you when there is a possible malfunction.
- Performance tips to enhance efficiency
- Front loader to wash your clothes without wear and tear.
- A remote start that allows you to operate the machine while you are away.
- Stainless steel drum to prevent rust
- Dimensions of 41.5″ x 31.5″ x 29.5″ for maximum laundry load.
You will be impressed by the overall operation of this washer. It is the best direct drive front load washing machine. First, it is a water saver. It uses little water and short-duration washing cycles. The washer has several features, including a pedestal washer. That gives you an option for a mini washer to wash your clothes simultaneously with the large washer.
The turbo wash feature uses a combination of a powerful motion wash and five water temperature settings to enhance each wash cycle. This selection integrates well to give you a quick drain, rinse, and spin. The fast speed helps you to save on time and power.
Other wash programs such as sanitize and steam options help you kill germs and strip off stains from your garments. The LG’s ColdWash technology offers an alternative to wash with cold water only, especially for delicate clothes, without compromising the wash’s quality.
The washer’s capacity (4.5 cubic feet) assures you less laundry time. The tub is immense, meaning you will wash fewer loads. You can save time to spend on other chores with this kind of washer.
Digital technology has not left out home appliances. A digital washer is an example. The digital system helps you move around and out of your home while doing the chores. One such appliance is the LG WM3900HBA.
It is a great washer that will get your laundry clean in a few hours. It will allow you to run a few errands and still come back and find a load of clean and fresh laundry awaiting ironing and storing. It is a high-efficiency washer and best price LG direct drive washing machine. We highly recommend the direct drive motor washer.
3. LG WM3488HW
This combo is one of LG’s intelligent technology appliances in the market. The brand’s most giant capacity washer/dryer and the best price LG direct drive washing machine. You can get an average laundry load done with its 2.3 cubic feet drum.
The washer comes with a ventless condenser which is an internal drying system. The condenser dryer comes in handy, especially if you do not have an external exhaust. With a ten-year warranty on the direct drive motor, LG guarantees you quality, durability, and high performance.
- Direct drive motor.
- Front loader.
- Washer/dryer combo.
- Six motion technology.
Other features include;
- Ventless condensing to dry your clothes.
- Tub Clean cycle for maintaining the drum fresh
- Smart diagnosis to reach out to the LG service center.
- White color to reveal dirt quickly and match with most of your household appliances.
- An energy efficiency rating.
- An aqua-stop to stop water into the drum when there is an error.
LG WM3488HW combo is a high-performance washer with a maximum speed of 1400 RPM. It’s one of the fastest front loaders around. That means you can clean your laundry at a lower water temperature and dry them simultaneously in a shorter time than a washer with a lower RPM.
The front loader has a sensor that weighs your laundry and adjusts the controls accordingly. If you mistakenly leave out some clothes, you can stop the washer, open, load, close, and restart your washing cycle.
With 14 wash programs and five wash/rinse temperature levels to choose from, that guarantees you the cleanest and intelligent clothes’ care. For your washing convenience, you have up to 19 hours of wash delay settings.
Being an inverter direct drive washing machine, we recommend it because of its durability. Also, the washer has combined features of both a washer and a drier. It may not wring your blankets and sweaters dry, but most of your laundry comes out perfectly ready for ironing.
Smart technology helps you to reach out to customer service when there is a fault. Everyone is opting for appliances with water and energy efficiency. LG WM3488HW is Energy Star Certified, meaning it will use 20-30% less energy.
4. LG WM3998HBA
This is one of the latest technology innovations by LG to provide you with digital home appliances. You can control the washer with the WI-FI-enabled features. It is considerably big but a quiet washer. It will save you on power and water but still leave your clothes perfectly laundered.
- Direct drive motor.
- Front loader.
- Smart WI-FI Enabled.
Other features include;
- Dimensions of 30.75″ x 27″ x 39.”
- 2.3 cu. ft. Capacity for maximum load
- ThinQ® Technology for remote monitoring.
- Steam Technology
- 6Motion™ Technology
- Tub Clean Cycle for self-cleaning
- ColdWash™ Technology to save on power.
- Allergiene™ Cycle / AAFA Certified to reduce common household allergens
LG WM3998HBA is one of the top-notch performers in the laundry industry. With TWINWash™ technology, you can optimize your daily schedule by washing two loads at ago.
The front loader and the small pedestal will handle both loads simultaneously. The most important of all is the LG smart diagnosis app installed on your mobile to identify the machine’s error codes. You can then report directly to LG customer support for assistance. That’s a reliable, comfortable, and convenient way of sorting issues.
The brand has gone further to install a ThinQ® app. It’s a remote technology that allows you to start or stop your washer or dryer, select a cycle and monitor your washer’s energy consumption.
With the app, you get notifications on your smartphone when the laundry is complete. The app is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, where you can control your washer with a simple voice command.
To save you time, the LG’s TurboWash spins your clothes in a remarkable 30 minutes per load. LG’s TurboWash is one of the fastest technology in the industry. It uses a high-pressure twin nozzle to clean laundry efficiently and come out with a perfect wash.
We cannot leave the 6Motion technology, which uses swing, tumble, filtration, scrubbing, stepping, and rolling to give your clothes a gentle wash while maximizing the performance. You can also sanitize your fabrics easily with the sanitary cycle.
The Allergiene™ cycle makes sure that your kids’ plush toys, bedding, and sportswear come out allergy-free.
Technology is becoming more and more advanced. It’s now on at your laundry corner. We recommend that you get this machine and abandon the old school washers. Though you will have to get yourself acquainted with the new technology, soon you will find it easy to operate the machine for your convenience.
The smart technology by LG makes this machine the best direct drive front load washing machine. It is economical to do your laundry because of the enormous capacity that takes larger and fewer loads.
With a direct drive motor that assures you durability. If you find the dimensions too big to fit in your combo, go for a slimmer model like LG WM3499HVA. You will get all the features that you love in this model.
5. LG WM3499HVA
- Smart Front-Load Washer: The LG washer is equipped with smart...
- Tempered Glass Door: The LG washer features a tempered glass door,...
- ColdWash Technology: The LG washer utilizes cold water efficiently by...
- Stainless Steel Tub: The LG washer's tub is made of stainless steel,...
- Shallow Depth: The LG washer is designed with a shallow depth,...
LG WM3499HVA is a 2.5 cubic feet front loader with a combination of a washer, dryer, and smart technology. It comes with a complete PDF manual that is straightforward and easy to understand during installation.
With this washer, your clothes are laundered fast TurboWash 360 technology. With its dimensions of 24″ x 33 1/2″ x 25 1/4″, it saves you space, especially if you live in a condo or apartment.
Laundry has never been easy, thanks to the simple voice commands. The smart feature is compatible with your smartphone to monitor your wash cycle until the washing process is complete. Everyone in the family is well catered for by the 14 wash programs that allow heavy sweaters, baby’s wear, delicate clothes, linen, beddings, etc.
- Direct drive motor.
- Front loader for a gentle wash.
- SmartThinQ® app.
Other features include;
- 2.3 cubic feet capacity for fewer loads.
- Voice assistance through Google and Amazon Alexa apps.
- Child Lock.
- Allergiene™ Cycle to get rid of allergens.
- Steam Clean Technology to gently penetrate and rip off dirt and odors.
- Internal Heater
- Graphite steel drum
This direct drive motor LG washing machine uses clean steam technology to penetrate your soiled clothes, leaving them fresh and free from wrinkles. The 6Motion Technology gently swings, tumbles, filters, scrubs, steps, and rolls your laundry to extract all the dirt and stubborn stains. You can choose any of that depending on the type of fabric.
Before the condensing dryer acts on them, the Allergiene cycle strips off all the pollens, mites, and pet hair from your garments. You can choose to sanitize specific clothes such as baby and sportswear. Most of the older model machines require external venting.
LG WM3499HVA performs without a vent. It uses the ventless condenser to dry your laundry. The water condenses and goes down the drain as vapor. With all the drawbacks of washer vents, this washer is the best direct drive front load washing machine.
The direct-drive motor washer has no belts that wear out within a few years. This kind of motor spells out durability and efficiency. With a 10-year warranty on the motor, you have the power to clean for over a decade.
The washer’s varied programs and other features assure you a perfect wash for the whole family. LG WM3499HVA is almost a smaller version of LG WM3998HBA. If you need a more oversized capacity washer, we recommend that you go for the LG WM3998HBA. It will also serve you well.
Best overall: Samsung WF42H5000AW Direct drive washing machine “This machine is our best pick. It is not only a smart technology washer but also superfast, energy saver, and quiet. The washer supersedes the rest.”
Best High-End: LG WM3499HVA direct drive washing machine ” A combination of smart technology and durability makes this direct drive washing machine a must-have. It’s a space saver that will fit in your condo and at the same time offer efficiency and high performance.
1. How Do You Use A Direct Drive Washing Machine?
We’ve listed and expounded for you several direct drive washers that you can find in the market. You now have your best direct drive motor washing machine . The challenge that lies ahead is how to use the direct drive washer.
Don’t worry about that. You will learn to operate the washer just like any other. You will be surprised to find that most of the features are the same in different machines.
To recap what we said about direct drive motor washing machines and belt drive washing machines, let’s look at the difference once more. A motor drives direct drive washers while a chain of belts and pulleys drives the belt drive washers.
By driving, we mean what rotates the tub. The most significant benefit of direct drive motor washers is that they will not wear fast.
Your washer’s motor is in the interior, meaning you may not have direct contact with it. The maintenance of a direct drive washer is easy. It rarely gets damaged, but you should take precautions to prevent breakdown as the spare parts are very pricey.
Here are a few tips on how to use a direct drive washing machine.
- Read all the manufacturer’s installation instructions carefully to avoid errors when connecting your washer.
- During installation, place your washer on level ground and plugin directly to the power source. Do not use extension sockets as these can cause a short circuit and destroy your machine’s motor.
- Follow the washing instructions on the washer’s manual.
- Clean your machine regularly to make it last longer.
- Always use the troubleshooting guide whenever there is a problem with your washer. For the washers with smart features that send you alerts on your phone when there is an error, always follow up to prevent a complete breakdown.
- Contact the manufacturer or a trained technician if your notice your direct drive washer is malfunctioning. It could be an issue with the motor. Do not handle that by yourself.
2. How Do I Clean My LG Direct Drive Washing Machine?
Most of the latest LG machines come with self-wash care, known as Tub Clean Cycle.
Whether your LG direct drive is a front or top loader clean as follows;
- Empty your washer’s drum.
- Add washing machine special cleaner powder, tablet, or liquid. That helps to break bio-film and residues. You can order the cleaner online or get it from your local LG dealer.
- Close the /lid and the drawer and select Tub Clean and the Start/Pause button.
- The cycle should run automatically. When the process is complete, wait for the washer to cool so that you can open the door/lid.
- For your front loader, wipe the door and the rubber lining in and out. If it a top loader, open the lid and wipe all the parts thoroughly.
- Leave the door/lid open for the interiors to dry.
- Pull out the dispensers and wash with soap. Dry them using a clean towel.
3. How Do You Unlock LG Direct Drive Washing Machine?
When you power on your washer, go to the LG washer control panel and press the Spin button. Do this until No Spin appears. Start the cycle to activate the drain function. This method applies to both front and top load washers. It works by draining all the excess water making the door easy to unlock.
Alternatively, close the water faucet, turn it off and unplug the machine. When the drum stops rotating and the laundry has cooled down, you should open the door.
4. Is A Direct Drive Washer Worth It?
A direct drive washer is worth your effort and cash. It is efficient, reliable, and does not require spare part replacements. If you follow the maintenance guidelines, it will last long.
5. Do Direct Drive Fans Have Bearings?
Direct drive fans have bearings. Lubricate them regularly according to the manufacturer’s directions. Only competent and licensed personnel should check, or remove, or change your machine’s fan bearings.
6. How Do I Know If My Washer Is A Direct Drive?
In the interior at the rear of your washer, you will see the motor system that powers your washer instead of a belt and pulley system. When purchasing the brand of your choice, you can ask the dealer to specify.
7. What Are The Disadvantages Of Direct Drive Washing Machines?
- Breakdowns are expensive to repair.
- It is expensive because of the cost of the motor.